Custom Building Products introduces new Commercial Silicone Caulk
In addition to standard caulking applications, Commercial 100% Silicone Caulk can be used in cold, control, expansion and isolation joints. Commercial 100% Silicone Caulk conforms to ASTM C-920, Type S, Grade NS, Class 25, Use T, I, M and G and ASTM C-794 properties.
TCNA's Handbook mandates a soft movement joint every 20 to 25 feet (6 to 7.6 meters) for interior installations, closer if exposed to sunlight and moisture, and every 8 to 12 feet (2.4 to 3.6 meters) for exterior exposure installations (EJ171-09). These soft joints in the tile assembly and subfloor will absorb the damaging stress that would be transmitted to the tile. That's why it's important that movement joints in the subfloor be carried through the tile installation, according to Custom Building Products. Commercial 100% Silicone Caulk meets the requirements of movement joint sealant for commercial floors in traffic situations, by meeting the requirements of ASTM C-920, ANSI and the TCNA Handbook.
Commercial 100% Silicone Caulk takes the place of the rigid cement grout over the movement joint in the subfloor. Since Commercial 100% Silicone Caulk has a high Shore A hardness (greater than the required 35) it is suitable for traffic areas, as well as joints around the perimeter of the installation out of traffic paths, according to the manufacturer.
Commercial 100% Silicone Caulk has distinct advantages over traditional urethane sealants, which are typically used in high-traffic installations:
· Excellent UV resistance; maintaining its color and elastic properties after years of exposure to weather; urethane sealant can discolor and harden over time when exposed to UV.
· Achieves excellent bond strength to glass, non-porous and glazed surfaces, making it the ideal product for installation between ceramic and porcelain tile.
· Shorter tack-free time, minimizing dust sticking to the surface, and shorter cure times, allowing for earlier traffic, than urethane sealants.
· Greater temperature service range (-60° F to 200° F [-51° C - 93° C]).
· Matches the popular core colors of Prism® SureColor® Grout, Polyblend® Grout and CEG- Lite™ 100% Solids Commercial Epoxy Grout so designers have a consistent look across the entire tile installation; urethane sealants are generally available in only a few colors (i.e. white, gray, black, and tan).
"Custom Commercial 100% Silicone Caulk changes the standards for joint sealing in commercial traffic applications," said Tom Carroll, Product Manager at Custom Building Products. "Now there's a sealant with advanced properties and a selection of color choices."