HOLLIS, NH-- The release of the ANSI/NSC 373 Sustainability Standard was a highlight of the Natural Stone Council (NSC) 2014 accomplishment list, according to NSC chairman Moe Bohrer, as he addressed a number of stone industry leaders at StonExpo West / Marmomacc Americas 2015 in Las Vegas, NV.
|The NSC Booth during StonExpo 2015 in Las Vegas, NV.|
"The NSC's commitment to sustainability goes far beyond producing the ANSI approved standard (a three-year effort), assisting the first company (TexaStone Quarries) to achieve the new standard, and producing tools to educate the design community about the standard," said Bohrer. He also announced that Kathy Spanier of Coldspring will be chairing an effort to pursue acceptance of the standard by various sustainability market drivers, such as the USGBC and the Living Building Challenge, in the upcoming months.
Additional 2014 NSC accomplishments included:
- Joining the Construction Industry Safety Coalition (CISC) to insure the natural stone industry's voice is heard specific to proposed changes to the allowable silica exposure levels by the U.S. Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA)
- Monitoring and keeping member associations informed about a variety of regulatory agencies impacting the stone industry
- Establishing an associate membership category for stone associations outside of the U.S. to become active with NSC initiatives
- Assembling a new NSC member association annual dues structure to help provide a more regular base of ongoing financial support
- Joining together with several stone associations to provide continuing education on the show floor at the American Institute of Architects (AIA) annual convention in Chicago, IL
While at StonExpo West, the NSC also hosted the 2nd annual Stone Pavilion Block Party which brought together hundreds of natural stone industry professionals on the exhibit floor.
The NSC also elected its 2015 officers: Moe Bohrer, Chairman (Anderson Bros. and Johnson/Michels); Brenda Edwards, Vice Chairperson (TexaStone Quarries); Jim Owens, Secretary (TexaCon Cut Stone) and Jeff Buczkiewicz, Treasurer (Mason Contractors Association of America). In addition to Spanier being named to chair the sustainability committee, other committee chair appointments included: Dan Posthuma (Michels Co.) for the Environmental Regulatory Compliance Committee, Matt Pruitt (Elberton Granite Association) and Ted Huppert (Grazzini Bros.) co-chairs to the MSHA/OSHA Regulatory Compliance Committee and Holly Luehring (Michels Co.) to the website committee.