Husband-and-wife team Sean and Teresa Ray have devoted much time and effort to establishing a successful one-stop-shop for their customers. Their business, Pro Stone Kitchen & Bath in Olive Branch, MS, provides a full service in kitchen and bath design. From countertop production to cabinets, sinks and flooring, the 30-employee company covers it all.

“We opened out of need,” explained Sean Ray, co-owner of Pro Stone Kitchen & Bath. “We used to sell cabinets for other people.”

According to Ray, he and his wife knew with their skillset and experience in kitchen and bath design they could offer more, which is why they opened their own business. The company’s mantra, “options, convenience and budget,” demonstrates to its customers that a high value is placed on quality and customer service.

Since it first opened its doors, Pro Stone Kitchen & Bath has grown significantly. “We bought the building last year and added 30,000 square feet,” said Ray, adding the company had rented the facility for the previous 10 years.

In addition to expanding, the company has also recently made hefty investments in state-of-the-art equipment. “About two years ago, we bought a Park Fusion, Titan and Fastback,” said Ray. There’s a learning curve going from what they call ‘cave manning.’”

Ray explained prior to purchasing the CNC machinery, the company used two bridge saws for fabrication, and it still has its Johnson Marble bridge saw today. Moreover, it purchased the LT-2D3D Laser Templator from Laser Products Industries of Romeoville, IL. “When we went digital, it was time,” said the fabricator. “We were always busy and paid a lot in overtime.”

Making the transition to a digital shop has definitely made a positive impact on Pro Stone Kitchen & Bath’s production process. The company works efficiently to produce 1,500 square feet a week. To keep everything on schedule, Ray recently purchased a JobTracker system from Moraware of Reno, NV.

Ray said a tremendous amount of time and effort has also been dedicated to becoming OSHA compliant. While it wasn’t always an easy path, and was an expense, he believes it was a necessity.

Marketing its products

Approximately 35 percent of Pro Stone Kitchen & Bath’s business is in its home state. “Mississippi is hot right now,” said Ray. “The rest of our market is northern Missouri, western Tennessee and Arkansas.”

Roughly 80 percent of the company’s business is builders, while the other 20 percent is the home remodel market. Ray pointed out that this was reversed during the economic crisis.

Pro Stone Kitchen & Bath maintains an inventory of approximately 30 colors of natural stone and quartz, which it owns. Remnants have also become a good source of revenue for the company. Within recent months, a system has been put in place to tag each remnant so they can be easily kept on record. Additionally, the company offers eight lines of cabinets.

Pro Stone Kitchen & Bath

Olive Branch, MS

Type of Work: primarily residential
Machinery: a Fusion saw/waterjet, Titan CNC stoneworking machine and a Fastback edge polishing line — all from Park Industries of St. Cloud, MN; a Johnson Marble bridge saw; a LT-2D3D Laser Templator from Laser Products Industries of Romeoville; tools and accessories from Braxton-Bragg; a JobTracker from Moraware of Reno, NV
Production Rate: 1,500 square feet per week