Set in the picturesque New England town of Greenwich, CT, the owner of an upscale residence wanted the exterior design of their new home to feature natural stone, which is inherent of the area architecture. But to save on cost, they chose natural thin stone veneer that provided the same rich look and texture that is achieved with thicker pieces of stone.
Architect Dick Clark of Dick Clark Architecture in Austin, TX, recently utilized an innovative limestone design for a condominium complex lobby in Austin, TX. He created a two-sided wall of overlapping tiles that stirs interest and serves as the focal point of the space. The varying sizes of rectangular and square tiles, which jut out from the wall, bring dimension and texture to the seating area.
Steeped in heritage, it was important that the new home for the Texas Hillel - also known as the Topfer Center for Jewish Life - would serve as a warm retreat for students at the University of Texas at Austin. Additionally, the design also needed to meet practical requirements. With these objectives in mind, the design team utilized a palette of red brick and Lueders limestone to build the new Jewish student community center, which opened in February of 2006.
Before opening his own stone fabrication business, Jeffrey Stein was a tile installer. After many years of honing his trade, he eventually decided to expand his capabilities. His company, Jefco of Virginia, Inc. in Richmond, VA, now includes a stone fabrication and installation operation specializing in high-end residential work.
There are many reasons why the Gwinnett Environmental & Heritage Center (GEHC) is a one-of-a-kind project that should be recognized for its purpose and design. Built as an educational center to serve as a working model of ecologically sustainable design, the two-story, 59,000-square-foot facility is the first “green” county-owned building in Gwinnett County, GA. Its exterior facade features approximately 900 tons of salvaged Elberton granite, which not only helps qualify it for LEED Gold certification, but also creates a timeless piece of architecture.
The owners of a private residence located in the affluent community of Tammy Brook Estates in Cresskill, NJ, were seeking chic sophistication for the design of their new home. And they turned to a variety of natural stone products - among other materials - to carry out the design objective.
Nestled at an elevation of 9,200 feet along the crest of Wild Cat Ridge in Aspen, CO, is a private residence that stands as a testament to the beauty of stone. With its spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and innovative design - featuring a massive Moss Rock wall that runs throughout the interior and large expanses of exterior glass - the home fits seamlessly with its natural environment.
The renovation of St. Joseph Catholic Church in Strongsville, OH, involved salvaging a large Carrara Statuary White marble slab that formed the top of the altar as well as finding a match for the marble to be used for a new baptismal font, ambo and deacon chair
Since 1998, the 90 West Street building in Lower Manhattan has been regarded as an historic landmark. Designed by Cass Gilbert and formerly known as the “Coal & Iron Building,” construction on the structure was completed in 1907. And while the building’s architecture has always been admired, the unfortunate events of September 11, 2001, have raised its historic value even more.
Since its conception in 1998, Hallmark Stone of Fenton, MO, has focused on running as a high-volume stone fabrication shop. Strictly a wholesaler, 60% of the company’s production is Silestone, while natural stone comprises the remaining 40%.
In this issue of Stone World, check out content about an office tower in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, which straddles the city’s business and fashion districts. Also read about Tab India, which is another recognized stone producer from India. Through the years, the company has invested heavily in its quarrying and fabrication operations.