When building a spec home in Austin, TX, Steve Wauson of Craftsman Homes of Austin adhered to a few design objectives. Above all, it was a priority to utilize as many natural materials as possible - making for environmentally friendly architecture. In doing so, an assortment of natural stone - including several regional varieties - was employed throughout the home’s interior and exterior spaces.
Built in 1939, a private estate located on LaGorce Island - an upscale residential development in Miami Beach, FL - was recently renovated. The primary design intent for the project was to preserve the character of the home, while developing a more contemporary living space. The desired look was achieved with the use of natural stone.
Designed as a six-story office building with underground parking, Cherapa Place in Sioux Falls, SD, is a throwback to the city’s 19th-century architectural materials as well as a testament to modern construction. The structure, which features a two-story base of regional quartzite, was created with the intention of achieving Gold LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). And the stone used throughout the exterior and interior of the project - quarried and fabricated by Jasper Stone Co. of Sioux Falls, SD, a subsidiary of L.G. Everist, Inc. - contributed to meeting the overall goals for LEED certification.
After two successful runs last year, the Marble Institute of America (MIA) set out on another “Quarry Tours and More” expedition in March 2008 - this time visiting several of the many granite and limestone sites in Texas. The two-day trip, which was held on Wednesday, March 19, and Thursday, March 20, was attended by a group of industry professionals from across the U.S. who were looking forward to learning more about the quarrying and fabrication processes in the southwest region. Additionally, participants had the opportunity to witness the carving skills of some incredibly talented sculptors at their shop in Florence, TX.
Those traveling through the new South Terminal at Miami International Airport in Miami, FL, will be greeted by more than security gates and baggage claim carousels. Within the new structure is literally a work of art, which was created by sculptor Brad J. Goldberg of Dallas, TX. Titled “Coral Eden,” the project features two expansive Italian travertine walls - each stretching approximately 100 feet tall and 30 feet wide and intricately carved to resemble Brain Coral.
Initially founded by Luciano, Luigi and Adriano Quintarelli as the Lessinia Stone Co., Pietra della Lessinia Srl is an Italian stone-processing company rich in history and craftsmanship. The Quintarelli family, who still owns the stone business today, initially started out cutting blocks by hand in the early 1960s. Through the decades, the management of the company passed down from generation to generation, and in the 1980s, the business officially became named Pietra della Lessinia.
Standing in the heart of the Village of Tinley Park in Illinois is an Arts and Crafts style train station with limestone cladding and a slate roof, which has become the center of attraction in the community. In particular, the station’s three-story clock tower with an observation deck contributes to the overall character of the design. The train station was the first step in a master plan targeted at resurfacing the “Old World charm” of the village.
As president and owner of Northwestern Marble & Granite Co. since 1988, David C. Gramling - named after his grandfather who had also once served as company owner and president - has dedicated himself to continuing to run a successful fabrication business, which has been in his family for more than 100 years. Since its start in 1896, the company has experienced several name changes, actively supported World War II and relocated its facility a few times. Today, Northwestern Marble & Granite Co. operates out of a 20,000-square-foot shop - with an additional 7,000 square feet of office/showroom space - in Edina, MN, and the company works hard to serve both the residential and commercial markets across the U.S.
Cold Spring Granite Co. dates back to 1886, when Scottish stoneworker Henry Alexander formed a partnership with several other stonemen from his native homeland. Through the years, the company continually expanded. In 1958, Cold Spring Granite purchased the Melrose Granite Co. of St. Cloud, MN. The property where the company sat included a large fabricating plant and several older quarries, including the Carnelian quarry just east of Milbank. Today, this site operates as “Carnelian No. 1 Quarry.”
Chien Chung (Didi) Pei, AIA, and his younger brother Li Chung (Sandi) Pei, AIA, not only share a family bond, but they also both have a passion for architecture. As a result, they set out on their own in 1992 and opened Pei Partnership Architects in New York City. Before beginning their own endeavor, however, the two gained valuable experience in designing large-scale buildings while working under the tutelage of their father, I.M. Pei, for nearly two decades.