Stone Column

Italy's expanding horizons

November 1, 2005
No matter how many times I travel to Italy, it never gets old -- and not just because of the excellent food and wine I enjoy while I am there. As editor of Stone World Magazine, I am fortunate enough to travel to Italy at least two or three times each year, and every time I go, something new seems to be taking place in the stone industry.
Read More

My Kingdom for a Tarp

October 1, 2005
The American Red Cross estimates that 275,000 homes have been destroyed by Katrina and the flooding that followed in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi. More than 1 million people have been displaced, their homes unlivable and likely to be demolished. Rebuilding these homes and helping these families represents a staggering challenge, especially when you attach names and faces to the evacuees.
Read More

Another prime example

September 1, 2005
As soon as I approached the entrance to this month's “Re-Emerging U.S. Stone Industry” subject - Vangura Surfacing Products of North Huntingdon, PA - I knew this was not going to be a typical fabrication shop article. To begin with, the facilities of the company were quite imposing, with multiple large-scale buildings and its own private roadway leading from the highway. Driving past several loading bays and warehouse/manufacturing facilities, I ultimately reached the main lobby - an inviting, two-story space that showcases a broad range of finished stonework.
Read More

Stone Column: Embracing Technology

August 1, 2005
Over the years, companies in the stone industry have developed a reputation as a bunch of “good old boys.” This has been particularly true of stone fabricators. Given this assessment, one might get the impression that the typical stone fabricator in North America sets about his daily business with a hammer and chisel - and perhaps a hat made of folded newspaper.
Read More

Stone Column: Architects and education

July 1, 2005
Over the past decade, suppliers of stone, installation materials and maintenance products have placed a great deal of emphasis on educating architects on the technical aspects of natural stone.
Read More

Stone Column: You Get What You Pay For

June 1, 2005
Back when I was in college, I saw one of those too-good-to-be-true advertisements for home electronics in the newspaper.
Read More

Re-Emerging: Colorado Quarry Relies On Traditional Equipment

June 1, 2005
With two quarries and a retail location in the Colorado area, Stone Wholesale Corp. produces Brownstone, Cherokee stone and moss rock for large masonry companies, contractors and architects
Read More

Re-emerging: Fostering a love of stone

May 1, 2005
After being inspired by a trip to Italy over 20 years ago, Charlie Zgonis founded Olympia Marble and Granite in Needham, MA
Read More

Stone Column<br>Unprecedented growth, unprecedented competition

May 1, 2005
Five years ago, I remember telling friends from outside the stone industry how much the field has grown.
Read More

Stone Column: Learning from others

April 1, 2005
For the first time ever, the subject of our “Re-Emerging U.S. Stone Industry” feature is not technically a member of the stone industry.
Read More

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

November 2013 Stone Products Gallery

Take a look at some of the latest stone industry products.

THE MAGAZINE

Stone World Magazine

April 2014 stone world cover

2014 April

In this month's issue of Stone World, check out an extensive preview of Coverings 2014, which will be celebrating its 25th anniversary in April. Also learn more about various types of limestone that were used to build private residences.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Contemporary Stone & Tile Design Magazine

CSTD_Spring2014_Cover.jpg

2014 Spring

This issue of Contemporary Stone & Tile Design includes our annual focus on Kitchen and Bath design

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Training Program

How formal is your training program for new employees?
View Results Poll Archive

The Stone World Store

How_To_Polish_&_Restore_Mar.gif
How to Polish & Restore Marble Flooring

This video will show you step-by-step how to resurface and polish marble flooring from grinding and removing lippage and scratches to achieving a highly reflective polish.

More Products

Italian Trade Commission Coverings exhibitor preview

Italian Trade Commission logo 2

The Italian Trade Commission is presenting a large group of the most innovative and internationally renowned Italian suppliers of dimensional natural stones. We hope your busy schedule will allow you to join us for a “genuine” espresso in booth N. 4045 and explore the exciting Italian natural stone resources offered by our exhibitors. Check out Italian stone producers exhibiting at Coverings 2014 here!

Stone Industry Education

stone industry educationStone Industry Education is sponsored by Stone World Magazine and Marble Institute of America. The SIE events will help you: strengthen your skills, build your business, and  increase profit in your shop.  Check out stoneindustryeducation.com to register for upcoming fabricator and installer seminars.

STAY CONNECTED

facebook logo Twitter  YouTube