Report from Latin America: A specialist in Brazilian granite slabs

January 1, 2007
/ Print / Reprints /
ShareMore
/ Text Size+
Granitos Itapoama Ltda. processes blocks into granite slabs at its facility in Rio Novo Do Sul, Espírito Santo, Brazil.


Working in the granite-rich Brazilian state of Espírito Santo, Granitos Itapoama Ltda. of Rio Novo Do Sul was founded in February of 1990, and its principal owners are Elimario Peterle Fiorio and Estevan Antonio Fiorio, Jr. And over the past 16 years, the company has become a specialist in slab production.

Granitos Itapoama works exclusively with Brazilian granites, including exotic materials as well as the traditional stones of Brazil.

Given the vast deposits of granite in Brazil, Granitos Itapoama works exclusively with Brazilian granites. Exotic materials being fabricated include Victoria Blue, Copper Canyon, Star Beach, Laguna Golden, Persa Light, Endless Mountain and Super White, while more traditional colors include Palmares Black, Fiorito Yellow, New Fiorito, Humaita Yellow and Fox Yellow.

Equipment at the plant includes four jumbo gangsaws as well as two standard gangsaws.

Granitos Itapoama has partnerships with quarries for Palmares Black, Star Beach, Persa Light and Fiorito, and it purchases blocks of the other materials.

The jumbo gangsaws can process multiple blocks simultaneously.

The company’s factory covers an area of nearly 325,000 square feet (30,000 sq.m), and it produces slabs with a thickness of both 2 cm and 3 cm.

Slabs are polished on a slab-polishing unit from MGM, which features 20 polishing heads.

Equipment at the plant includes four jumbo gangsaws (three from MGM and one from Cimef) as well as two standard gangsaws from BECA. After blocks are cut into raw slabs, they are polished on a slab-polishing unit from MGM, which features 20 polishing heads. There is also a line for treating slabs with reinforcement resin as needed.

There is also a line for treating slabs with reinforcement resin as needed.

Material is maneuvered using gantry cranes, and the plant is also equipped with rolling cranes for slab transport.

In addition to the factory itself, facilities include two pavilions for storage of slabs.

In addition to the factory itself, facilities include two pavilions for storage of slabs. Overall, Itapoama’s plant has 80 workers, and it produces over 160,000 square feet (15,000 sq.m) of material per month. It exports between 40 and 50 containers each month, and 80% of production is shipped to the U.S. market. The remaining 20% is distributed in Canada, Mexico and Europe. Granitos Itapoama primarily sells to importers and warehousing distributors.

The company exports between 40 and 50 containers each month, and 80% of production is shipped to the U.S. market.

Did you enjoy this article? Click here to subscribe to Stone World 

Recent Articles by Michael Reis

You must login or register in order to post a comment.

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

November 2013 Stone Products Gallery

Take a look at some of the latest stone industry products.

THE MAGAZINE

Stone World Magazine

April 2014 stone world cover

2014 April

In this month's issue of Stone World, check out an extensive preview of Coverings 2014, which will be celebrating its 25th anniversary in April. Also learn more about various types of limestone that were used to build private residences.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Contemporary Stone & Tile Design Magazine

CSTD_Spring2014_Cover.jpg

2014 Spring

This issue of Contemporary Stone & Tile Design includes our annual focus on Kitchen and Bath design

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Training Program

How formal is your training program for new employees?
View Results Poll Archive

The Stone World Store

How_To_Polish_&_Restore_Mar.gif
How to Polish & Restore Marble Flooring

This video will show you step-by-step how to resurface and polish marble flooring from grinding and removing lippage and scratches to achieving a highly reflective polish.

More Products

Italian Trade Commission Coverings exhibitor preview

Italian Trade Commission logo 2

The Italian Trade Commission is presenting a large group of the most innovative and internationally renowned Italian suppliers of dimensional natural stones. We hope your busy schedule will allow you to join us for a “genuine” espresso in booth N. 4045 and explore the exciting Italian natural stone resources offered by our exhibitors. Check out Italian stone producers exhibiting at Coverings 2014 here!

  

Stone Industry Education

stone industry educationStone Industry Education is sponsored by Stone World Magazine and Marble Institute of America. The SIE events will help you: strengthen your skills, build your business, and  increase profit in your shop.  Check out stoneindustryeducation.com to register for upcoming fabricator and installer seminars.

STAY CONNECTED

facebook logo Twitter  YouTube