- THE MAGAZINE
- CSTD MAGAZINE
American Bluestone was established in 1931 and opened a quarry on Sidney Mountain, offering the stone as North River BlueTM Bluestone. The quarry changed hands in 1970 and again in 2005.
The current owners, Robert and Debbie McDuffey, purchased the quarry and factory and began concentrating on production of the historic Bluestone. As architects and contractors became aware that the North River Blue Bluestone quarry reopened, interest in the sedimentary sandstone continued to grow. The rich blue background and subtle movement have been a favored choice in the architectural community, the company reports.
The increasing demand for green building products and materials qualifying for LEED points are making regional stones like Bluestone more attractive. North River Blue is a registered trademark and indicates that the material is Genuine North River Blue from the Sidney, NY quarry. This specific variety of Bluestone may be found in many prominent projects including:
• The Base of the Statue of Liberty
• Benches at the U.S. Capitol Building
• U.S. Naval Observatory
• Rockefeller Center
• New York City Hall
• Governor’s Mansion in Hartford, CT
• Johnson and Johnson Headquarters
CCS Stone maintains an inventory of North River Blue Bluestone in thicknesses of 1 ¼ and 2 inches in dimensions exceeding 56 x 140 inches. The material may be used for exterior or interior applications and is available in sawn, honed, polished or flamed finishes. Large-format tiles are produced in any dimension, including patterns. Slabs are stocked in New Jersey and are available to stone fabricators for use as countertops, vanity tops and various residential and commercial surface requirements.
Contact Jonathan Mitnick at CCS Stone, www.ccsstone.com, or Robert McDuffey at American Bluestone for additional information.