Media Madness and Construction Pros
March 16, 2010
Last week, I experienced a different kind of March Madness. I spent three days in Manhattan at meetings focused on e-media trends and developments. My head is still spinning.
I believe I’m suffering from Media Madness.
None of the experts predict the demise of printed magazines. Some are even bullish on print because of its reproduction values, portability (with no batteries), trustworthiness and tactile feel.
But everyone, it seems, is touting the coming wave of gadgetry that will enable us to receive more, better and faster information electronically. Some of these devices, like the Apple iPad, will debut in 2010. Most are not expected to gain serious traction until 2011 or 2012.
Having been weaned on print, this tidal wave of e-media is both scary and exhilarating. More than anything, it is a welcome challenge. What journalist doesn’t want more platforms to share news, feature stories, ideas, and opinions, plus collect feedback from an engaged community?
Here are four predictions/comments that caught my attention.
* In a few years, people will receive 75% of their news from their mobile devices.
* Globally, more than 50 e-reader devices will be in production this year, using 38 different software platforms.
* The devices will spawn hybrid forms of delivered content that combine written stories, photos, historical archives, video, and data. Think of your favorite print magazine, Web site, and e-Newsletter on steroids.
* As devices and software get smarter, you’ll increasing receive information based on your past tendencies. The time is now to restrict which sites you are visiting because somewhere some software is keeping track.
While mentally downloading the experts’ presentations, I asked myself some defining questions.
1. Where do construction pros fit into these developments?
2. How will your information-gathering experience change?
3. What do we at BNP Media need to do to meet and exceed your expectations?
The answers to those questions will be learned as part of an ongoing journey. In the months ahead, expect to be surveyed, polled, Friended, Tweeted, Invited, and/or emailed requests asking for your feedback on content and delivery platforms.
Please do yourself and other construction pros a big favor and tell us what truly helps you excel in your business. We need your input to help us find the best solutions for Media Madness.
Tell us how you best like to receive information. What electronic devices do you find most useful? What types of content and sources (articles, photos, videos, data, Webinars, e-Newsletters, Tweets, social media/communities) are most engaging for your work?
We’re on an exciting journey and you can help shape the future. We’d love to get your early forecasts. Post your predictions to this blog or email me at fauscht@bnpmedia.