CNC technology Adds Efficiency for Large-Scale Plant
With a background in construction, Nevzat Kansu decided to use his experience and know-how to open Neka, Inc., a large-scale stone fabrication business, in Dulles, VA, in 1989. And to aid the company in reaching the level of success that it reaps today, Kansu has equipped the 60,000-square-foot shop with an assortment of top-of-the-line machinery over the past 20 years, including three Bavelloni Egar CNC stoneworking centers.
Ozdag explained that the company first invested in only one CNC machine, but eventually purchased two additional ones. “It worked great, so we decided to get more,” he said. “Now we have three. After the learning curve, the CNC gave us more speed.”
The majority of Neka’s tools and accessories are purchased from companies such as Braxton-Bragg of Knoxville, TN, and GranQuartz of Tucker, GA. Additionally, the shop is equipped with an assortment of handling equipment, including Dal Forno vacuum lifters from International Machine Corp. (IMC) of Holbrook, NY, ATA vacuum lifters, six overhead cranes, more than 12 jib crane workstations, a 12-ton Sard crane and a truck-mounted Atlas boom crane.
Utilizing digital templatingIn addition to a staff of 14 that works in the fabrication facility, other important members of the staff include Ekrem Kaya, who is a civil engineer by trade and works as Ozdag’s “right-hand man,” as well as Tulin K. Demirci and Elif Kaya of the purchasing department. And to complete installations, the company employs four installation crews. It has invested in a Stealth 7200 Digitizer to provide precise measurements.
Providing high-quality serviceAt this time, approximately 60% of Neka’s stone production is commercial, while the other 40% is for the residential sector. On average, the company produces about 2,000 square feet per week, although this number can vary quite a bit, said Ozdag, adding that the company also caters to the retail and glass markets.
Sidebar: Neka, Inc.Dulles, VA
Type of work: 60% commercial, 40% residential
Number of Employees: 14 in the fabrication shop, 4 installation crews
Production Rate: approximately 2,000 square feet per week