A Producer of Architectural Limestone Products
November 1, 2008
After only three years of operation, Fischer Stone & Materials, LLC is experiencing success and growth. Based in Lanark, IL, the business includes a 10,000-square-foot fabrication facility and 17 quarries in Northwest Illinois. And because the company is thriving, plans are underway to add new equipment, increase production and build a 12,000-square-foot addition to its stoneworking shop as well as new office and showroom facilities.
“Fisher Stone was founded in 2005 to supply architectural stone for commercial, residential and industrial projects as well as a wide range of landscape stone products,” said Todd McPeek, the company’s CEO. “We offer a new exciting option for natural stone customers. With our recent additions and established goals for future capital improvements, we are positioning ourselves to effectively offer more variety, more time-sensitive products and competitive savings for our customers.”
While McPeek is in the position of CEO, Fischer Stone & Materials is owned by Wayne and Joe Fischer. The company’s facilities in Lanark sit on 40 acres of potential quarry land.
“We do own and operate several of our own quarries in Northwest Illinois,” said McPeek. “We also bring in stone from Mankato, MN, and we are working toward bringing in some Indiana stone as well.”
The quarries owned and operated by Fischer Stone & Materials produce a fine-grained, dolomitic limestone in natural gray and buff colors. “Full veneer and natural thin veneer products are produced for the architectural market, along with full complements of ancillary items such as keystones, sills, quoins, hearths, caps and other cut stone,” said McPeek. “Veneer products are available in sawed course heights and natural layers split to size as natural, tumbled or rockfaced finish. For the landscape market, we produce outcropping stones, wall stone, benches, steps, 8-inch cut drywall and more.”
At the present time, Fischer Stone & Materials employs 20 workers in its factory, and runs two production shifts. Among the machinery used in the production process is a Hydra Split from Park Industries of St. Cloud, MN, and a Wilson slab saw for cutting blocks.
Thin veneer is another product offered by the company. These products are processed on the TXS Thin Stone system from Park Industries. The unit features two blades, and it can process stone pieces up to 12 inches high, 18 to 24 inches long and up to 12 inches thick. Blocks are loaded onto the conveyor, and the two blades simultaneously cut off the ends.
The company also recently expanded into stone installing. “We are currently working on our first installation project,” explained McPeek. “We estimate that it should be complete within a month. The crew that is working on it is five people deep. Soon we should have installation crews for veneer as well as landscaping stone.”
In total, commercial and residential work comprise 70% of Fischer Stone & Materials’ market, while the other 30% consists of landscaping stone. Of the 70%, a total of 90% is exterior work, while the other 10% is interior applications such as hearths, tiles and mantels.
Recently completed projects that the company has worked on includes the Freeport Memorial Hospital, OSF St. Anthony Hospital and the Boswell House Bed and Breakfast.