A solid impression for Stone South America

The 10th edition of Stone South America took place in Sao Paulo, Brazil from November 8 to 11, 2000. And the event is not only representative of the Brazilian stone industry, but also of the international marketplace.

A total of more than 250 exhibitors were on hand, including firms from Brazilian stoneworking regions such as Bahia, Minas Gerais, Tocantins, Espirito Santo and others. And while Brazilian firms comprised 60% of the exhibiting firms, the remaining 40% came from abroad - particularly suppliers of items not available in Brazil, such as tumbled marble and fabricating equipment from Europe. In fact, many Italian exhibitors organized as a national pavilion on the show floor. In all, a total of over 10,000 professional visitors attended the fair over the four days, coming from Brazil as well as over 25 other nations. A total of 17% of the show's attendance came from outside of Brazil.

For Brazilian stone producers, the show offered the opportunity to launch new products, such as Brown Beaver of the Gramazon (Tocantins); the Classic White of Andrade S/A (ES); the Desert Rose of Serraria de M¿ores Santo Antonio (ES); the Polar White of Qualita (SP); and Himalaya Red of Emigran (SP). Other Brazilian exhibitors included, Ferraz & Tommaso, MAP, Micapel, Michelangelo, Proton, Rio Segran and Thor. Exhibitors from outside of Brazil included Antolini Luigi, Breton, Diamant Boart, Sea, Stone World and Zonato.

Another new development was the "Enlightenment Point," where industry professionals fielded questions about the practical applications of stone materials.

The success of the event underscores the overall prosperity of the Brazilian stone industry over the past decade. Exports grew 23.6% in 1999, and went from a value of $3 million in 1990 to $106 million in 1999. With the success of the export market, Brazilian firms have continually looked to upgrade their equipment and tooling to ensure that their production meets international standards. Moreover, the Brazilian government has assisted export-driven companies in making investments to their factories.

The show is sponsored by Simagran, a Brazilian trade association, and it is supported by the following organizations: Abirochas, CinRochas, Secovi-SP, SindiRochas, Abiemg, Sasp, Simagran-Mg, Simagran-RJ and Simagran-PR.

The dates for the next edition of Stone South America are March 13 to 16, 2002, at the Transamerica Expo Center in Sao Paulo.

Did you enjoy this article? Click here to subscribe to Stone World 

You must login or register in order to post a comment.



Image Galleries

Cevisama product gallery 2015

The 2015 edition of Cevisama was a showcase of the latest trends in tile design, including textured surfaces, colorful mosaics and worn concrete aesthetics

Stone World Magazine

Stone world 2015 may cover

2015 May

In this month's issue of Stone World Magazine, read about the MIA/Stone World Dallas Stone Summit, the Xiamen Stone Fair and the 2014 Pinnacle Award Winners

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Contemporary Stone & Tile Design Magazine

CSTD Spring 2015 cover

2015 Spring

In this issue of Contemporary Stone & Tile Design, we bring you our annual focus on Kitchen & Bath Design. From a beach-inspired bathroom design to a kitchen backsplash made of circular mosaic tile, the following are filled with illustrations of innovative and unique uses of stone and tile.

Table Of Contents Subscribe


Are you aware of the new stone standard – ANSI/NSC 373 Sustainability Assessment for Natural Dimension Stone?
View Results Poll Archive

The Stone World Store

How to Polish & Restore Marble Flooring

This video will show you step-by-step how to resurface and polish marble flooring from grinding and removing lippage and scratches to achieving a highly reflective polish.

More Products

Stone Industry Education

Stone Industry Education

From fabrication...to installation...to marketing and much more!  We provide natural stone professionals with stone knowledge and education they can count on, as well as great networking opportunities. Click here to go to Stone Industry Education.


facebook logo Twitter  YouTubeGoogle+

Stone Guide 2014

2014 Stone World Stone Guide

The directory for Stone, Equipment and Supplies - the single information resource readers turn to.